I had the wonderful opportunity of dealing with a variety of Windows 2003 servers that are running out of disk space. Unfortunately, previous caretakers of these boxes P2V'd them without doing any resizing of the boot partition. C: is running out of space fast. It just so happens, that's a major problem with 2003 - resizing the boot partition is nearly a no-go without shutting down the whole system and using GParted. Sometimes that kind of server downtime just isn't acceptable for the business.
Luckily, Dell (of all sources) has an online and free solution. Let's walk through the full process. For this tutorial, I will be showing it with VMware. Hyper-V is nearly identical.
- Power down the VM (it won't but take a moment)
- Open the VM Properties in your Hypervisor
- Select the Hard Disk under Hardware
- Provision as much space as you'd like
- Boot your VM back up
- Login and open Computer Management
- You will see the new unallocated space you have just added to the virtual disk
- Typically in other scenarios you could just right click your main partition and Expand. Unfortunately, Server 2003 can't seem to do that, even if you have the hotfix that supposedly fixes this problem.
- Go grab Dell's Extpart.
- This is an incredibly simple and efficient tool that will allow us to expand our C: volume without taking the machine offline for lengthy repartitioning.
- The little executable that you download will extract to wherever you specify.
- From the Start Menu select Run.
- Type cmd and click OK to run the command line utility.
- Change directories to c:\dell\ExtPart or the location the utility extpart.exe was extracted.
- To extend the C: volume by 1 GB (1024 MB) use the following command: extpart c: 1024
you can use disk management to extend system partition when there is unallocated space contiguous to system partition, otherwise the the extend volume will gray out and you can't extend partition.at this moment, third-party may be your choice. aomei partition assistant lite is a free software for server, which can help you extend system partitionReplyDelete
hope my suggestion can give you a more way to solve the problem
Good ? I should certainly pronounce, impressed with your website. I had no trouble navigating through all tabs as well as related information ended up being truly simple to do to access. I recently found what I hoped for before you know it at all. Quite unusual. Is likely to appreciate it for those who add forums or anything, web site theme . a tones way for your client to communicate. Nice task. WD Elements 1TB USB 3.0 Portable External Hard DriveReplyDelete
If you want to download the latest version of this software so links are given belowReplyDelete
We've added it to our list of bookmarked web pages and will be checking back in the near
future. Please also visit my website and tell us what you think.
AOMEI Partition Assistant Crack
Freemake Video Converter Crack
Advanced System Optimizer Crack